This week marks the birthday of one of the, if not the, most successful investor the world has ever known. Warren Buffett, the Oracle of Omaha, turns 89. And his wisdom or quotes have been shared many times over. Those who didn't learn from them, were often at least entertained by them. Reading some of those gems in an email today, reminded us that many explain what we believe to be the keys to financial success very simply, and sometimes quite humorously. Below find just a few of our favorite Warren Buffett quotes:
1. Someone's sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago. It all starts with a plan for the future.
2. I don't look to jump over 7-foot bars: I look around for 1-foot bars that I can step over. Diversification means never making a financial killing off of one idea, nor being killed financially by one idea!
3. Our favorite holdings period is forever. The most important quality for an investor is temperament. You need a temperament that neither derives great pleasure from being with the crowd nor against the crowd.
4. The rearview mirror is always clearer than the windshield. Think of the medical advancements you couldn't dream of 10 years ago. Think of the marvel that is the device in your pocket. FAITH IN THE FUTURE IS A REQUIREMENT.
5. An investor should act as though he had a lifetime decision card with just twenty punches on it. Timing won't work. If so, everyone would be wealthy. You'd only have to watch the news. As we all know not everyone is wealthy. But it's natural to want to try. Punch that card with the beginning of your plan, and as your life changes, not minute by minute.
Many think financial success is being rich! I'll be successful when I hit a certain number. But the numbers change every day. Not your target, but what you watch. Those numbers change every single day.
At Financial Concepts, we think of being financially successful as being financially independent. When you are financially independent, your financial punches over your lifetime, allow you to live a comfortable independent retirement. Financial success allows you to provide for your family, whether or not you are still with them. And that financial success allows you to leave legacies to causes and concerns you care about.
Remember we are here to help you reach for your dreams and goals by helping you make the most of your 20 punches!